Alliance Ted K. Tajima High School

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Placeholder text, please change
Counseling » Social Emotional

Social Emotional

Student Support Services 
Information on accessing support services can be found through links below:

Who can receive school based mental health services?

School-based mental health services are reserved for scholars whose social and emotional needs are impairing their academic abilities. For scholars who are experiencing challenges outside of school, referrals to local mental health agencies will be provided. Reasons for a referral may include but are not limited to:

  • Scholar has experienced a loss of a family member or loved one (e.g. death, incarceration, or deportation)
  • Scholar has stressors at home that are affecting school performance or self-esteem (e.g. divorce, financial stress)
  • Scholar appears more sad, angry, or worried etc. when compared to peers
  • Scholar is experiencing difficulty making and maintaining appropriate friendships with peers
  • Scholar lacks school motivation to participate or attend school or is extremely distracted
  • Scholar exhibits significant change in behavior
  • Scholar has experienced a traumatic event that is impacting school performance (e.g. abuse, car accident, bullying, etc.)

What do school based mental health services look like at Alliance Ted K. Tajima High School?

 Scholars may receive support in the following ways based on what is most appropriate:

  • Classroom Support & Teacher Consultation
    • Provider consults with the teacher about appropriate interventions and supports that may help the scholar be more successful in their classroom.
    • Provider may come into the classroom to present on a particular topic (e.g. bullying prevention, appropriate friendships, or suicide awareness for middle school scholars).
  • Referral to a Community Mental Health Agency
    • Sometimes a referral will be initiated in partnership with the parent/family for outside counseling services or services provided by a contracted therapist. 
      • This would occur in instances where the school based mental health services have reached maximum capacity or the scholar’s needs exceed what a school based mental health service provider is able to provide.
  • Group Counseling
    • Provider will meet with a group of no more than 10 scholars to work on increasing skills in a certain area (e.g. coping with strong emotions, processing grief or social skills).
  • Individual Counseling
    • Scholar meets with the provider one-on-one to address a particular concern or behavior.

How can scholars receive school-based mental health services?

  • In order to benefit from these services, scholars must be referred (by staff, parent, or self-referral).
  • Parents/legal guardians must also sign for consent for participation in mental health services for scholars; however, providers are permitted to meet with scholars without parental consent up to 3 times and in the case of emergencies (e.g. suicidal ideation or suspicion of abuse).
  • In the state of California, children aged 12 and above are able to consent for their own mental health services, however, providers will always attempt to partner with parents/legal guardians to collaborate on treatment and referrals. 
  • Parents and or legal guardians may revoke consent at any time by providing the main office or provider with a written document.

Who provides Mental Health services at our school?

Leticia Garcia, School Psychologist ([email protected])

Cynthia Castillo, Counselor, ([email protected]

Crystal Leon, Counselor, ([email protected])

Maribel De Anda, Counselor, ([email protected]

Wendy Salazar, Assistant Principal, ([email protected]


  • California Youth Crisis Line (800) 843-5200
  • Crisis Text Hotline (text to 741741)
  • National Suicide Prevention Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or Dial 988
  • Apps for stress management:
Calm, Mindfulness Coach, Mindshift, Breathe, Headspace, Breathing Bubbles